Sunday 14 June 2015

Angry Birds Sugar Cookies

Oh. My. Word. This took forever, pretty much an entire week, but it was definitely totally worth it for the final result.  My brother and sister-in-law are having a baby and it's due in July.  We had a baby shower yesterday and the theme of the shower was Angry Birds, though the guests of honour were unaware of this.

Anyway, in the blog I posted yesterday I showed an angry birds lovey and promised you a blog about some sweet treats.  I have been brainstorming how to make this project come alive ever since my mother told me the date of the baby shower and let me know that the theme was Angry Birds.  I really like decorating cookies, or at least, I like the idea and I like the result.  The actual execution is rather tedious and drawn out, but that is to be expected.

I would have loved to have gotten some actual Angry Birds cookie cutters, though not the ones that make all the indents like the ones I saw when I searched Google.  I wanted just the metal, simple shape cookie cutters, but, alas, I could not find any links that actually panned out and so, I had to deal.  I ended up using my phone to trace the pictures of the birds and pig I wanted to use and then used a photocopier to blow up the image to the size I figured I would make the cookies. It didn't really matter that I completed that second part, because in the end, I cut them all out by hand.

I used a circle cookie cutter and then just added extra bumps or appendages where needed for the red bird, black bird, and the pig.  I used a small tupperware container to cut circles for the blue birds and I used a heart and a mini stocking to create the general shape for the yellow bird.  They ended up working out pretty well, though the black bird was kind of annoying as the head feather kept falling off because it was such a small attachment point, and then I burned the first batch of black bird cookies.(I was vacuuming and didn't hear the buzzer go off!)

Once I had all the cookies made, I had to ice them.  I still have about ten containers of royal icing in my refrigerator because of all the colours that were required to make the decorations complete. I think I ended up spreading the decorating out over three days.  I did some of the bottom layer of decorating on the red birds and then did the bottom layers on the rest the next day before I had to leave to stay with some of my cousin's teens while the rest of the family went to see an older child graduate. The ones that stayed home had to write exams unfortunately.

The next afternoon, so Friday, I finally put the finishing touches on the cookies and had the final product done and ready to be taken to the baby shower and enjoyed. They really enjoyed the cookies at the shower and my brother and sister-in-law received some wonderful gifts to help them with their first child, so all in all, it was a grand success!






Photo credit: my wonderful mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment